Thursday, February 11, 2010

"Jack" Update

Well, it's Thursday again and I had my weekly doctor's appointment today. This is the first week where I have felt very uncomfortable and I'm just not really enjoying pregnancy much. My belly continues to grow which is making it harder to find positions that are comfortable. My back hurts. It's becoming harder and harder to go up the stairs. I'm extra tired lately. Sugar deprived. I have to sit down to shave my legs. I pee about 15 times a day. I'm pretty much just missing feeling normal. Despite all of the complaining I may do, I really am grateful that I am still pregnant and that Jack is continuing to grow and be healthy. I am almost 4 weeks past where I was when I had Ben and I'll take everything that comes along with being pregnant if it means that I can make it to the end.

The doctor continues to be impressed with how far I've come along. She says that my blood sugar levels are looking good and that I should be able to continue to control them with diet only right now. I'm going on a month now since I started my new diabetes diet and I'm pretty used to it now. I have a good idea of what I can and cannot eat to make sure my blood sugar levels stay on the lower side. My breakfast usually consist of eggs, toast and milk. My lunch favorite lately is peanut butter and banana sandwich with a side of string cheese and carrot sticks. Dinner is the hardest meal because I get tired of eating the same things over and over again. I'm not a big meat eater and with this diet, I have to eat a lot of meat each day to get enough protein. A couple times a week, I splurge and have sugar free ice cream with banana slices for my bedtime snack (we're talking a tiny scoop and maybe 6 little banana slices but I enjoy every bite of it).

Every week, the doctor measures my uterus from the top to the bottom and the number of centimeters it measures is how many weeks you are measuring. It's not an exact science but close enough where it gives them a good idea of how the baby is measuring. Today I was measuring 33 weeks which is right where I should be measuring. With gestational diabetes, it is common to have a baby on the bigger side, especially if it's not controlled so it is reassuring to hear that the baby is measuring right where he should be. I had a zero weight gain in the last week which is one good thing that is coming out of the new diet.

Only 41 more days to go...

No comments: