Friday, January 8, 2010

"Picture of the Day": Day 8

Today, our "Picture of the Day" is an older picture (from June, 2008 when Drew was promoted to Captain). Every other post is always about Ben and I wanted to take some time to talk about my husband. I can honestly say that he is the best person I know. The one thing I wish the most for my boys is that they grow up to be like their dad. I think everyone who has met Drew knows what a great person he is. The most admirable quality he has is that he always puts his family first. He works hard so that we can have a good life. I know he looks forward to coming home to us each evening. When he is home, he is an amazing dad. I don't think there is ever a time that he isn't proud of Ben. He could have had the worst day at work but when he is home, he doesn't let it get in the way of his time with us. I watch him play with Ben and I know how lucky I am that he is here with us, that my children get to grow up with him as their dad.

I don't think any of us will ever know what Drew has been through. We probably can't even begin to comprehend the things he has had to do in the past five years, nor do we want to. One time I asked him why he joined the military and he said so people like me didn't have to see what he has seen or do what he has had to do. Being the selfish person I am, I cannot even begin to think about sacrificing my life for that reason. For Drew, it's not even a question of if I can do it, it's how I can do it. I think the military has been pretty darn lucky to have him. He has never done anything less than his best. There might be times where he doesn't know what he is doing or how to do it but he figures it out and ends up excelling. That's pretty rare to find these days. It's pretty exceptional.

Lastly, I want to say what a good husband Drew is. He might not be the most romantic guy or know how to buy gifts or clean very well but in the end, that stuff doesn't matter. What does matter is that I know how much he loves me. He finds his own ways to show me that. Unfortunately, we don't get much time to ourselves these days. We might have to wait until our kids are off in college before that happens. We're in this crazy, chaotic life together and I think we make a pretty good team. He is the perfect match for me and I love him for so many reasons.

Sadly, Drew is going to be leaving us on Sunday. He has to go to North Little Rock, Arkansas for two weeks to go to a training class. We are not looking forward to it. He will be very much missed by all of us, including Lewey who will not be getting the twice a day walks that he is used to.



1 comment:

Daddy said...

What a a beautiful posting sister. You are both lucky to have eachother.