Tonight, I went to the new parent orientation for pre-school. Ben will be starting school on August 2 and couldn't be more excited about it. I was excited for him and knowing how much he will benefit from it. Sitting there tonight, listening to the director go over the parent handbook, it kind of hit me. This is just the beginning of the rest of our lives. He is heading out into the world. He will have moments where he is scared. He is probably going to get in trouble when he shows his stubborn side to his teacher. There might be days when he has no one to play with on the playground. He'll get frustrated when he doesn't understand the assignment. He'll learn what it's like to have his feelings hurt when other children say mean words. As his mother, these are the things I have tried my hardest to prevent. I have spent 3.5 years protecting him. How do I let go of this?
While I do worry about the things that could go wrong, I look more forward to how will I wipe the smile off my face when I pick him up each day and he tells me what a fun day he had. What he learned. Who he played with. What his teacher told him when he showed good behavior. How he can't wait until he comes back. Ben deserves the best life has to offer him and this is one of those things that will hopefully make a difference. That it will begin a life-long love for his education, a desire to always learn something new and the first of many friendships he will form throughout his life.
As Ben embarks on this new adventure, we can't wait to see where it takes him.
1 comment:
Having you as a mom, already gives him a head start....
Post a Comment